Frequently Asked Questions
1. When is the Open House?
Sunday, October 27, 2013 at 1:00pm.
2. How can I get an application?
You are now able to apply securely online by clicking through to St. Joseph High School's Online Application portal below. Complete the application and submit online, or return it by mail to St. Joseph High School (Attn: Admissions) along with the non-refundable $75 testing and application fee before the exam.
3. When is the entrance exam?
Saturday, November 2, 2013 at 8.00am.
A second exam is offered on Saturday, November 16, 2012.
4. How can I register for the entrance exam?
As soon as we receive your application with the $75.00 application fee, you are automatically registered for the exam. Although it is not recommended, you may also register on the day of the exam.
5. What if I’m sick on the day of the exam or unable to take it on November 2?
A second exam is given on November 16, 2012 at 8:00am.
6. What test is used for the entrance exam?
The High School Placement Test (HSPT).
7. How should I prepare for the test?
You can register for our High School Placement Exam Preparation Course. See the link on the left for more information.
If you have taken the Connecticut Mastery Test or the Iowa Basics Test, you will be familiar with the HSPT. Get a good night’s sleep and eat breakfast before arriving to take the test.
8. What are my chances of being admitted?
Each application is reviewed by an admissions committee. Your performance during seventh and eighth grades is very important. Effort and motivation are as important as grades.The committee considers the following infomation before a decision is made:
- Entrance exam score
- Current report cards
- Teacher comments on the report cards
- The recommendation forms sent from the junior high school, one each from an English and Math teacher
- Standardized testing
- Attendance record (as indicated on report cards)
- Information from the application itself
9. What is the tuition?
$12,500 for the school year 2012-2013 which does include textbooks.
10. Does St. Joseph provide busing?
Busing is provided to Trumbull residents through the town of Trumbull. St. Joseph will help you arrange carpools by providing a list of people from your town who are also interested in carpooling.
11. Does St. Joseph offer scholarships?
Academic scholarships are available to those students who receive a composite score of 90% or higher on our entrance exam and whose transcripts indicate high academic achievement. To be eligible for these scholarships, applicants must take either the first or second entrance exam.
12. Is Financial Aid available?
Yes. Financial Aid forms are available to all eighth grade applicants on the day of the entrance exam. The deadline for aid for incoming freshmen is November 30, 2012. The deadline for current students is March 1, 2013. A separate form must be completed for incoming students if a sibling attends SJ.
Applications for Financial Aid can be downloaded here or you may apply online directly at www.psas.org, using our St. Joseph School Code: 3005.
Please call Mrs. Rodgerson in the Financial Office at 378-9378, ext. 310 if you have any questions regarding financial aid or tuition payment options.
13. Are financial aid awards automatically renewed each year?
No. Since financial aid is a needs-based program, a new application must be completed every year.